Come away and rest awhile... Take some comfort in the promise of things to come...







Tuesday, January 6, 2015

(my) Secret to Happiness

Well folks I finally did it! Discovered (my) secret to happiness... Took a long, long time, many years in fact but it has finally happened. Not sure what brought it all together but no matter that is a thought for another day.

Guessing your thinking be quiet already and share...ok I will....

Its quite simple actually and the word SIMPLE is important here. Its all about SIMPLICITY! Yes, that's correct.  Let me explain further.

First off for me: Being at peace with God.

Very important! If I am at peace with God then that lays the foundation for me to be able to ACCEPT the other elements of my happiness. If I am at peace with God then "all is right" in my world no matter what that world may consist of. Yes, I have chosen my words very carefully so think about them.

Second of all: Reduce the "clutter" in your life. Think about that one too...Ponder what that might mean to you. For me it was more than I realized. Being forced by circumstance to "declutter" my life more than I wanted I was actually "freed" from more than I realized held me in bondage.  I am still "decluttering" almost daily. I actually pray and ask God to show me what else I can get rid of....He is slowly showing me more and more things to get rid of, some things I didn't think I could let go of. But I did.   I have had my life reduced down to what some would find impossible, no TV been 7 years anyway-don't miss it,  I am living in a very small home-rather like that which doesn't allow for alot of things unless we want to live in "box city", no thanks! So I have been giving away so many
things for others to enjoy. Others that don't know my secret yet so they are more than willing to take stuff from me...that makes it easier for me to share it because I don't have to toss it when its good stuff and seeing someone else enjoy them is nice. Sometimes clutter is not something you can put your physical hands on.it might be TV, internet, cell phone, regular phone, it might be working too much, too many hours, it might be other things that take away your time, your peace... Stuff can drain us of our energy, it can and does distract us to the point we don't even realize how "busy" our lives are.  Not meaning only physical busy here either folks! Are we ever still enough to (think quietly) and enjoy it?

The next thing on my list is well most will find this boring but its not actually, taking the time to enjoy the SIMPLE things in life and to GIVE THANKS for them also! Wow that was a mouthful. Not something I ever thought about before or really took the time to do regularly either.  Without close friends, no TV, find surfing the web rather dull after so long without that chance except when needed, we have discovered books from the local library which are free and plentiful. We have discovered movies from the library too for when we just feel the desire to see one.  We have discovered raking leaves together for a common cause, giving our dogs someplace to romp without mud, we have had leaf fights! We like to just sit outside and enjoy nature or go for a walk. We talk sometimes just because. We eat simple meals and enjoy the fact that we have decent food to eat that doesn't even taste too bad!  We are grateful for the clothing we have that fits and isn't the latest fashion... We enjoy WHAT we have without desiring more. We don't envy others for what they have and we don't. We certainly have something most do not, peace. We just enjoy each day for what it is without stressing over the next day. We are ALIVE today and we are finally noticing that in a positive way by being grateful. We are not rushing to get to tomorrow hence missing out on today. We are living a slower paced life and its soothing.  I never really noticed the little things before like I do now. I never really gave thanks for those same little things before like I do now...It has made ALL the difference for me. And when I am calmer those around me are also calmer...

I have finally learned that I don't need ANYTHING in particular to make me happy, just being at peace with MY GOD, appreciating ALL the little gifts He sends my way everyday. Trusting in Him to continue to love and protect me and those I'm responsible for. Being in the moment no matter how slow that moment may seem to some, being aware of that moment and acknowledging things around me during that time like a soft breeze, the sunlight, a bird singing, a feeling of satisfaction and peace, savoring it all.  Having dreams for the future that aren't set in stone but fluid just in case something better presents itself. If I get set in my ways and dreams must be a certain way I am rigid and dreams can change and expand. Learning to be more fluid has been a gift as well. Life is to be lived by moments...This my friends is my version of true happiness.  IF ever something happens that takes my peace away I am learning to pray and ask God to restore my peace because the disruption is not from Him.  So far He keeps answering that prayer. On my own I am weak but united to Him nothing is impossible!

My prayer for you is that someone, somewhere will read this and perhaps it will give them a road map to help them find their version of true peace...I suspect if they do it won't be that far off from the one I've found for myself...

Peace.

GG













on

No comments:

Post a Comment